MINUTES OF THE NOVEMBER 28, 2012 BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
The meeting was called to order by President Tim Scheer at 6:30 PM.
OTHER BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Don Nelson, Bob Dunn, Brett Lenz, Rick Treiber, Randy Stannard, and Karo Stigler
MEMBERS PRESENT: Jim Beeghly, Patrick McCormick, Dave White, Steve Smith, Al Schmitt, Ben Bendixon, Elizabeth (Lou) Runyan, and Mark Eads
GUESTS PRESENT: Jim Curran and Doug, Shawn, and prospective scholarship student Mitchell Nemmec.
Since November 21, 2012 was “Thanksgiving Eve,” a meeting was not held. The Minutes of the November 14, 2012 Board of Directors meeting were read by Mark Eads. Bob Dunn moved with second by Brett Lenz that the minutes be approved as read. Vote taken; Motion carried.
OLD and NEW BUSINESS:
1. Treasurer’s Report: According to Don, our finances look “about the same as last week.” We have enough money to pay all our bills, but Don said he’d like to wait until January.
2. Airplanes: The Ercoupe’s at Dukes and, with any luck, will be back tomorrow night.
3. Ground School: Mark Eads said the last session of this class was last Monday; however, he’s scheduling two more sessions in hopes that the extra sessions will give the students more time to study and, hopefully, pass his practice test before they sit for the FAA written (if they pass his practice).
4. Lou (past scholarship recipient) reported tonight that she was the student of the year at the University of Dubuque where she majored in sociology, she went to Africa and worked in an orphanage, and is now a student in the masters program for nonprofit management at DePaul in Chicago. CONGRATULATIONS, Lou; we knew you’d make us proud!
5. Ground School Committee. Leading a discussion re our scholarship program, Rick Treiber had several ideas, some of which are: look for people who have an existing interest and have exhibited an interest in aviation, we should give those who apply a basic interview and a chance to fly with Prez Tim Scheer as well as a CFI before accepting them into ground school for the scholarship program, use the interview and flight with prospective students to see if they have an aptitude for flying, etc. Mark said he doesn’t think we should select the scholarship recipient AFTER ground school has concluded. We need to set some goals with the reward of a 1/2 to 1 hour flight. Rick also thinks we’re recruiting in the wrong place and that other flying clubs, e.g., Rockwell, Civil Air Patrol, Local and nearby EAA chapters, radio control clubs, etc. We should give the aviation-based groups a chance to nominate a young person from their group to apply for the scholarship. Rick also thinks we should contact other flying schools with kids who have the potential, but don’t have the funds for lessons. These are ALL great ideas, Rick. Thanks. For now, Rick, Mark, and Ben Bendixon will be the committee. They’ll meet this week and will put something together to present to the Club next week.
Bob Dunn moved with second by Rick Treiber to adjourn the meeting. Vote taken; Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 7:02 PM.