from Mark Eads, your instructor:
– GCAC Spring Ground School will start Monday, February 29th. Here is the syllabus and reading schedule.
– This Spring class is free to all club members.
– The manual used is the FAA’s PHAK, ‘Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautic Knowledge’. Google FAA and it’s a free download. Links to obtain this and other material are found elsewhere on this site in page “Ground School Info.” (Click on link or see drop down menu at top of this page.)
– Let me know if you can’t download it we can supply a limited number of disks.
– Strongly recommend a E6B analog computer and Sectional Plotter. Both available at Sporty’s and quiet inexpensive.
– If you are a pilot and not necessarily interested in the whole course, feel free to attend any segments of interest.
– Class is organized as a workshop on the various skills from reading a sectional to computing weight and balance.
– Come to class prepared to work and think!
or viewed below:
Green Castle Aero Club
Ground School Syllabus
Session I: Airplanes & Aerodynamics
Pilot Handbook, Chapters 2, 3, 4, and 5
FARS: Part 21 – Part 39 –
Session II: Airplane Performance and Weight & Balance
Pilot Handbook, Chapters 9 and 10
FARS: Part 61.1 – 61.85
Session III: Airplane Instruments, Engines, and Systems
Pilot Handbook, Chapters 6, 7 and 8
FARS: Part 61.87 – 61.329
Session IV: Aviation Weather Services
Pilot Handbook, Chapter 12
FARS: Part 67.1 – 67.415
Session V: Navigation: Charts, Publications, Flight Computers
Pilot Handbook, Chapters 14 and 15
FARS: Part 91.1 – 91.169
Session VI: Aviation Weather
Pilot Handbook, Chapter 11
FARS: Part 91.171 – 91.421
Session VII: Airports, Air Traffic Control, and Airspace / Sectionals / overview
Pilot Handbook, Chapter 13
NTSB Part 830 & Summary of Current FAR Part Numbers
Session VIII: Aeromedical Factors and Aeronautical Decision Making (ADM)
Pilot Handbook, Chapters 16 and 17
Session IX: Simulated Flight
Session X: Exam