The meeting was called to order by President Tim Scheer at 6:30 PM.
OTHER BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Bob Dunn, Ryan Story, Calvin Colony, Vice-President Rick Treiber, and Secretary Karo Stigler
MEMBERS PRESENT: Don Nelson, Terry Koehn, Mike Mango, Tomasz Korwel, Al Schmidt, Jim McCullough, Jim, Beeghly, Brett Lenz, Andy Carpenter, Dave White, and Mark Eads
The Minutes of the January 22, 2014 Board of Directors meeting were read. Rick moved with second by Karo that the minutes be approved as read. Vote taken; Motion carried.
1. Treasurer’s Report: On behalf of Treasurer Randy Stannard, Terry Koehn reported that we ran out of propane and had to get the tank filled, we’re paying on our bills, no dues came in this week, and we need more members to pay their dues and to bring their accounts up to date.
2. Airplanes: The general status of the planes was discussed. We have yet to receive any word from the adjuster re the Citabria. Discussion was held re how much the Citabria flew last year and whether we should think about buying another 172, since the one we have is flown the most. TABLED.
3. Em Norden: Bob Dunn reported that Em’s doing better (after she broke her hip) and is able to get around with the help of a wheel chair. We wish you a speedy recovery, Em.
4. House of Representatives Bill HR3708: Rick Treiber said the proposed Bill, which would allow pilots to fly (with certain restrictions) under a valid driver’s license rather than a 3rd class medical, is an important Bill. We’re encouraged to contact our Congressman (Hon. David Loebsack is this district’s representative) by logging on to his website (http://loebsack.house.gov) and clicking “contact” and encouraging him to vote for the Bill. This is a really good thing for general aviation! If a person can drive a car with a valid driver’s license, a pilot should be able to fly a plane (with certain restrictions) with a valid driver’s license. [SECRETARY’S NOTE: I just logged on to my Congressman’s website (http://braley.house.gov) and sent him an email encouraging him to support the Bill. It’s very easy and took less than two minutes.]
1. Calvin said “we had an excellent meal tonight”; one of the best he’s had at Green Castle. Thanks, Mike Mango.
2. Mike Mango thanked Dave White and Tim Scheer for donating a couple of airplane rides to a fund raiser that supports a “gal who has cancer.” Also, Mike said that since Tim is “an extraordinary fellow” and suggested he (Tim) conduct airplane maintenance classes. Tim said he’ll do it if there are members who’d like to take part.
Rick moved with second by Bob to adjourn the meeting. Vote taken; Motion carried. Meeting adjourned 6:54 p.m.
THIS WEEK’S MEMBER PROFILE
(Send your profile to firstname.lastname@example.org)
John Butler: John Butler, emeritus professor and charter member of the GCAC.
Owns a Cessna TR182 (turbo retractable Skylane) and a custom Stearman. The TR182 is oxygen-equipped, cruises at 170kt at FL 190-210 and has been clocked across Kansas at 260kt with a tailwind. It is a good long haul airplane and especially good for mountain flying. It has King radios, a new Graphics Engine Monitor (GEM) with computer chip download, backup vacuum system, Tanis heater, Strikefinder, and airbags. Restoration of his Stearman began in 1991 in Green Castle and will be featured in a subsequent article.