from Mark Eads, your instructor:
– GCAC Spring Ground School will start Monday, February 29th. Here is the syllabus and reading schedule.
– This Spring class is free to all club members.
– The manual used is the FAA’s PHAK, ‘Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautic Knowledge’. Google FAA and it’s a free download. Links to obtain this and other material are found elsewhere on this site in page “Ground School Info.” (Click on link or see drop down menu at top of this page.)
– Let me know if you can’t download it we can supply a limited number of disks.
– Strongly recommend a E6B analog computer and Sectional Plotter. Both available at Sporty’s and quiet inexpensive.
– If you are a pilot and not necessarily interested in the whole course, feel free to attend any segments of interest.
– Class is organized as a workshop on the various skills from reading a sectional to computing weight and balance.
– Come to class prepared to work and think!
or viewed below:
Green Castle Aero Club
Ground School Syllabus
Session I: Airplanes & Aerodynamics
Pilot Handbook, Chapters 2, 3, 4, and 5
FARS: Part 21 – Part 39 –
Session II: Airplane Performance and Weight & Balance
Pilot Handbook, Chapters 9 and 10
FARS: Part 61.1 – 61.85
Session III: Airplane Instruments, Engines, and Systems
Pilot Handbook, Chapters 6, 7 and 8
FARS: Part 61.87 – 61.329
Session IV: Aviation Weather Services
Pilot Handbook, Chapter 12
FARS: Part 67.1 – 67.415
Session V: Navigation: Charts, Publications, Flight Computers
Pilot Handbook, Chapters 14 and 15
FARS: Part 91.1 – 91.169
Session VI: Aviation Weather
Pilot Handbook, Chapter 11
FARS: Part 91.171 – 91.421
Session VII: Airports, Air Traffic Control, and Airspace / Sectionals / overview
Pilot Handbook, Chapter 13
NTSB Part 830 & Summary of Current FAR Part Numbers
Session VIII: Aeromedical Factors and Aeronautical Decision Making (ADM)
Pilot Handbook, Chapters 16 and 17
Session IX: Simulated Flight
Session X: Exam
The meeting was called to order by President Tim Scheer at 6:34 p.m.
OTHER BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Randy Stannard, Jerry Smithey, Rick Treiber, and Karo Stigler
MEMBERS PRESENT: Don Nelson, Bob Dunn, Brett Lenz, Mike Mango, Merlin Weissheier, Joe DeMaria, Larry Clore, Scott, Trina, & Piper Pearson, Al Kriegel, and Mark Eads.
The minutes of the Board of Directors meeting of August 30, 2017 were read by Karo. Rick moved with second by Jerry that the minutes of the August 30, 2017 meeting be approved as read. Vote taken; Motion carried.
1. Treasurer’s Report: Randy reported on our financial status. All bills are current.
2. Airplanes: Tim reported that all our airplanes are up and running. CFII Nate Smith has been flying the 172 a lot.
3. Mike updated us on the plans for our October 17 Family Air Adventure (“FAA”) event. Everything is coming along fine. The Aircare helicopter is still in question. Mike said we need volunteers to help get ready with set-up on Saturday the 16th.
4. Jerry Smithey reported he and a representative of Kirkwood Community College are still talking about holding a joint ground school at Green Castle.
5. We’ve got the information needed for Terry Koehn’s name being added to the Memorial Wall at EAA-OSH, so the application will be sent, along with the money donated by members, to EAA headquarters.
6. Jerry, Mark, Tim, and Trey painted, carpeted, trimmed, and affixed new light fixtures to our Board meeting/ground school room, and it looks just beautiful.
7. Dick Minette informed us that we now have a 501(c)(3) Scholarship Foundation, but it isn’t official yet as we don’t have a Foundation board in place and all the paperwork hasn’t been approved by the government. Rick Treiber will be the president and Randy Stannard will be the treasurer of the Foundation board. We need three other active Club members (who are not on the Club’s Board of Directors) to serve on the Foundation board. The Club BOD will meet in executive session to select the remaining three Club members who will serve on the Foundation board. Since the Foundation, which is completely separate from the Club, hasn’t been finalized and a Foundation board has yet to be established, any money that comes in for the Foundation will be held in a separate account until the Foundation is up-and- running and a separate bank account has been established, etc.
8. Trina Pearson, without looking at the names of persons who responded to Erika’s blindly pointed to Howard Olson’s name. Howard will be contacted to schedule a flight with Nate.
1. We dumped a chunk of change into Mark Eads’ flying account to pay him for teaching ground school (agreement was 10 hours of flying time per 10-week class).
2. Rick moved with second by Randy that our annual stockholders’ meeting be October 15. Time will be determined soon. Those Board members who are up for reelection are: Tim Scheer, Chris Lenz, and Ryan Story. Ryan, Chris, and Tim need to notify us whether they desire to stay on the Board or if they want to give up their seat.
3. Due to Mango’s work schedule, he won’t be able to provide the Wednesday night meals. Anyone who wants to provide meals, please let us know. Bob Dunn will pick up Hy-Vee chicken, etc. for next week, but something needs to be figured out for future dinners.
4. Tim said he and Leeroy Wullner flew Tim’s T-Craft to Blakesburg for the antique air show last week and it was the biggest turnout he’d ever seen. Tim said there were lots and lots of radial engines, etc.
5. Discussion was held re honoring Bill Kimble and Terry Koehn with brass plates on a wooden plaque to be hung on the wall in our newly-decorated Board meeting/ground school room. Karo will paw through the minutes of the last 24 years and secure the names of all scholarship recipients. Discussion was held re putting those names on the wall also.
6. Darcy Koehn would like to donate $1,000 from Terry’s memorial fund to fix up the side room of the office that is currently used for instruction and the bathroom. Another member will donate $1,000. The room could possibly be used as a Foundation office.
Rick moved with second by Randy that we adjourn. Vote taken; Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 7:07 p.m.
The meeting was called to order by President Tim Scheer at 6:34 p.m.
OTHER BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Randy Stannard, Jerry Smithey, and Rick Treiber
MEMBERS PRESENT: Don Nelson, Bob Dunn, Brett Lenz, Mike Mango, Mark Pettinger, Merlin Weissheier, Joe DeMaria, Jim Beeghly, Larry Clore, Robert Broulik, Ramone Hemphill, Sean Mack, Erika Smith & sons, and Mark Eads.
The minutes of the Board of Directors meetings of August 16 and 23, 2017 were read. Rick moved with second by Jerry that the minutes of the August 16 and 23, 2017 meetings be approved as read. Vote taken; Motion carried.
1. Treasurer’s Report: Randy reported on our financial status. We’re okay.
2. Airplanes: Tim reported that all our airplanes are up and running.
3. Mike updated the plans for Family Air Adventure (“FAA”). Everything is coming along fine. The Aircare helicopter is still in question.
4. Jerry Smithey had a discussion with Kirkwood regarding having a ground school here through Kirkwood. It is in the works.
1. Erika Smith put out a survey asking for input on what we can do to improve the Club. The Board will consider some of the suggestions. Consensus is that we are doing okay.
Rick moved with second by Jerry that we adjourn. Vote taken; Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 7:07 p.m.